Fiber optic cables are the type of cables. Contain optical fibers in a protective jacket. Optical fiber is thinner than hair and made of silicon. The fiber optic cables transmission information through the optical fiber. The ways called index of refraction and total internal reflection.
The demand for fiber optic cable has grown tremendously and optical-fiber applications are numerous.
Fiber optic cables are widely used in the telecommunication and computer networking. It is the main information transmission tools at present. Fiber optic cables have good conductivity. Due to the huge advantages of long-distance communications.
- Broad bandwidth: A single optical fiber in the fiber optic cables, carry over 3000,000 full-duplex voice dataor 90,000TV channels.
- Anti-electromagneticinterference: The light is transmitted through the fiber without the influence of other electromagnetic radiation nearby. The optical fiber is non-conductive, so the information transmitted in the optical fiber is immune to electromagnetic interference, and even the electromagnetic pulse produced by the nuclear device.
- Low attenuation loss over long distances:Optical fiber loss is very low, in the light wavelength of 1.55um, the fiber loss lower than 0.2db/km. This is less than current loss of any transmission medium. Therefore, no replay transmission distance of up to dozens even hundreds of kilometers.
- Electrical insulator:optical fiber is non-conductive to prevent the grounding circuit and lightning conduction. Fiber optical cable can be strung on poles alongside high voltage power cables.
- Material cost:fiberoptic cable mainly made of optical fiber and plastic protective casing skin, there is no silver, gold, aluminum and other metals inside.
- Good secrecy performance.
- Fiber OpticSensors
Extrinsic fiber optic sensors usually use a multi-mode fiber optic cable. to transmit modulated light from either a non-fiber optical sensor—or an electronic sensor connected to an optical transmitter.Extrinsic sensor ability to reach otherwise inaccessible places.
The optical fiber can send light to every corner, and it can also be machined. Computers, robots, automotive switchboards, etc., have also successfully transmitted light sources or images with optical fibers. Such as the combination of sensitive components or the use of its own characteristics, you can make a variety of sensors, measuring pressure, flow, temperature, displacement, gloss and color.
- Power transmission
The Optical fiber can converter the light into electricity through a photovoltaic cell.
- Other Uses
There are many applications of optical fiber. In medical and other applications, they are used as light guides, and in the absence of a clear line of sight paths, the light can shine on the target. In some buildings, the fiber transmits sunlight from the roof to other parts of the building.