What is Multimode Fiber Optic Cable?
Multimode Fiber Optic Cable is different from single mode fiber optic cable. The fiber core has 2 types of diameters. such as 62.5/125um and 50/125um. Its large fiber core enables multiple light modes to be propagated and limits the maximum length of a transmission link because of modal dispersion. It is also called OM1, OM2,OM3 or OM4 fiber cable. It is mainly for short distance communications, such as building to building cablings in a campus.Typical multi-mode links have data rates of 10 Mbit/s to 10 Gbit/s over link lengths of up to 600 meters (2000 feet).
To have a clear understanding about Multimode Fiber Optic Cable, Let see the below images to compare.
How Multimode Fiber Optic Cable Works inside a Fiber?
To transmit light inside a fiber core, It is a principle of total internal reflection as the below image.
- Beyond a certain angle, the refraction will cause light to be reflected from the surface. Optical fiber uses this reflection to “trap” fiber in the core of the fiber by choosing core and cladding materials with the proper index of refraction that will cause all the light to be reflected if the angle of the light is below a certain angle. We call that “total internal reflection.”
2. Step index multimode fiber was the first fiber design. It has a core of one type of It has higher attenuation and is too slow for many uses, due to the dispersion caused by the different path lengths of the various modes travelling in the core.
3. Graded index multimode fiber uses variations in the composition of the glass in the core to compensate for the different path lengths of the modes. It offers hundreds of times more bandwidth than step index fiber – up to about 2 gigahertz. Two types are in use, 50/125 and 62.5/125, where the numbers represent the core/cladding diameter in microns.
The main Application of Multimode Fiber Optic Cable?
- As it is a capacity of multi-mode optical fiber to transmit lights in a short distance, It can reach 100 Mbit/s for distances up to 2 km (100BASE-FX), 1 Gbit/s up to 1000 m, and 10 Gbit/s up to 550 m. They are well used in multimode fiber optic media converters, Then fiber optic patching by multimode fiber cable is quite popular.
- As its high capacity and reliability in buildings cablings. Multimode Fiber Optic Cable is an ideal choice to the desktop or to the zone.
- Make Multimode fiber optic patch cords with different fiber connectors.