Usual Problems in Pulling Fiber Optic Cable
When installing fiber optic cable, Pulling it in horizontal in cabling applications which need some special machines. It is much different from pulling copper cabling as fiber optic cable are not as strong as UTP cable (unshielded twisted-pair copper cable) at all. It is not well handled, This cabling activity would result in broken fibers or high-loss links.
What is a Good Solution to Pull Fiber Cable?
When it comes to pull cable, We often request some special tools for pulling the fiber cable without fiber optic connectors.
6 basic Procedures Suggstions in pulling a fiber optic cable.
1) Make sure there is no bends or corners smaller than the minimum fiber bend radius needs.
2) In usual pulling cabling, You can pull fiber cable by hands in case of short distance and straight way in pulling path.One thing we should pay attention to is not pulling the fiber cable with its maximum tensile capacity in installation,Otherwise, The fiber cable pulling might be also of potential problems in application in the future. It is helpful to you if you can combine the pulling end part with the end of fiber cable to avoid fiber cable shrinking inside fiber jacket.
3) If pulling fiber cable in a hard way, Pulling machines or grips are quite necessary to fix and fasten a fiber cable jacket within a limits of a tensile load value. The pulling is to fix the strength members of the cable rather than the optical fiber itself. The pulling end of the grip is a loop or eye that permits attachment of a pulling tape or rope.
4) When it comes to some outside plant fiber cable, It is a good idea to grasp pulling grip to strength members of the fiber cable as well as fiber jacket. When pulling finished, Cutting the end as long as you see the strength members.and using tape to cover three inches of the cable core and jacket. Then fix cable core and tape it formly.
5) Use a swivel when pulling to make sure twists in the pull rope are not translated to the fiber-optic cable. Also, use a tensionmeter to monitor the tension being applied to the cable during the pull.
6) After pulling, Make sure cut any fiber cable with over cut off stretched or damaged during installation.Leave enough cable at either end to reach the work-area and closet terminating locations. You are now ready to terminate or connectorize the cable.
In a conclusion, We should take the below into considerations in pulling fiber optical cables any time.
1. Avoid Cable Damage such as broken fiber
2. Despooling Cable Properly in a straight way to avoid optical cordage failure
3. Keep Pulling Force in a limit of designated limit for the specific cable
4. Don’t Bend Fiber Too Tightly in A minimum bending radius of 10 cable diameters