What is Single Mode Fiber Optic Cable?
a single-mode optical fiber also called SMF is an optical fiber designed to carry light only directly down the single-mode optical fiber has a narrow core (9 microns or less), and the index of refraction between the core and the cladding changes less than it does for multimode fibers. Light thus travels parallel to the axis, creating little pulse dispersion. Telephone and cable television networks install millions of kilometers of this fiber every year.
Most of the fiber optic components are produced to work with single mode fiber optic cable as it has low attenuation in long distance.
How Single Mode Fiber Optic Cable Works?
Singlemode fiber has a 9um fiber core down and the light can only pass the fiber in one ray or mode.
Since there is only one mode, there is no problem with modal dispersion and the choice of core material can reduce chromatic dispersion which increases the bandwidth to almost infinity – but it’s practically limited to about 100,000 gigahertz – that’s still a lot! Singlemode fiber has a core diameter of 8-10 microns, specified as “mode field diameter,” the effective size of the core, and a cladding diameter of 125 microns.
Advantage of Single Mode Fiber Optic Cable?
- Increased High bandwidth capacity–A single-mode optical fiber cable Supports A higher bandwidth of a multi-mode fiber optic cable
- Used for Longer Transmission Distances –As it has lower attenuation in long distance transmission
- Low Data Dispersion & External Interference—Rays of light parallel to the axis of core single mode fiber
- Increased Transmission Speeds —Single-mode fiber optic cables provide higher speeds minimized
What is the Application for a Single Mode Fiber Optic Cable?
- Single mode fiber has wide range of application in fiber optic components or equipment making. such as single mode fiber optic adapter, fiber optic attenuator, pigtail and patch cords.
- To use the single mode light transmission in fiber, there are single mode fiber ethernet media converters to convert signals into light,which make sure a fast and long distance transmission in single mode fiber cable.
- Single mode fiber used in indoor and outdoor fiber optic cable, The indoor cable can be produced as fiber pigtails or patch cords to connect with single mode type fiber optic equipments. The outdoor cable are mainly used in branch networks in cablings.